Starting in 1958, houses in the blocks between Hutchison and Sainte-Famille, from Milton up to des Pins, began quietly changing ownership. The buyers were intermediaries—companies whose names were no more than registered numbers for names or that acted as go-betweens. One greystone at a time, year after year, and this continued for a decade. By the time residents worked out what they were looking at, the developer behind the purchases, Concordia Estates Ltd., controlled more than nine-tenths of six square blocks, having spent close to $20 million to get there. A few individual owners held out against this process, but most of the land stayed out of the developer's hands belonged to churches and schools.
Pour ceux qui ont Montréal à cœur
Créez un compte gratuit pour lire cet article et accéder à 3 articles par mois, ainsi qu'à notre Bulletin hebdomadaire.















Commentaires
Welcome to The Main's comments section!
Share your thoughts and join the conversation. Please be respectful and constructive.
Aucun commentaire pour le moment. Soyez le premier !